[mythtv-users] Recommended CPU speed

Patrick Reynolds reynolds at cs.duke.edu
Wed Mar 24 18:58:21 EST 2004

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004, David Rees wrote:

> What kind of heatsink are you using?  I'd love to get rid of the fan on my
> AMD setup.

The Shuttles come with a fancy heatpipe that screws to the top of your CPU
and moves the heat up to the middle of the main (fairly large) case fan.
The Shuttle case fan is multi-speed and bumps up to high speed at
configurable temperatures (48C, 54C, maybe others).  My CPU (a 2.1 GHz
Athlon XP 2400+) is almost always 40C, so the fan is always low.

If you don't have a Shuttle, I doubt the setup I have would transfer to
your case.  So see others' recommendations (in this thread and in the
archive).  silentpcreview.com has loads of information.

--Patrick