[mythtv-users] PAL Xbox Front End

Jon Waite jon at jonwaite.com
Wed Mar 24 17:56:19 EST 2004

Tried searching the archives here, but no luck.

Just built a myth frontend on Xbox to go with my lovely backend system.
(release 0.3 with xbox-myth 0.14-1), using the uncompressed FS on drive E:
on the Xbox.

Can't get Myth loaded yet, but I think I just need to sort out the mysql
permissions for that as this is the first time I've tried running a remote
frontend.

BUT, the X display is black & white on my testing TV which is PAL 50Hz. I'm
assuming the X configuration in Dennis' mythtv-xbox distribution assumes
NTSC / 60Hz video which is the problem ? If so anyone got a quick way of
fixing it ? The boot screen (until X starts) is lovely - colour and looks
very clear, just when X gets going that I go monochrome.

Also, I probably misunderstood the docs, I changed the password in
/etc/shadow as recommended in the xbox-mythtv docs, but it won't accept ssh
logins from my PC, doesn't the password stored in here need to be encrypted
???

I haven't yet got a USB adapter for the Xbox (it's on it's way) so no local
keyboard / mouse, but will reinstall with the default password and should be
able to get in remotely to change the X config.

This is on a mod chipped (Aladdin+) Xbox v1.1 if that makes any difference.
Pretty sure it doesn't use the new Focus video chip.

Thanks to Dennis for a great job on this distribution, would be nice to have
a dedicated xbox-mythtv list or forums, but I know the support in here is
good too so not overly worried :)

Regards, Jon.