[mythtv-users] Recommended CPU speed

Preston Crow pc-mythtv04 at crowcastle.net
Wed Mar 24 14:31:20 EST 2004

Sure, if you have hardware encoders, you don't need much CPU to record.
(e.g., PVR-250)

If you have hardware decoding, you don't need much CPU to play back.
(e.g., PVR-350, Epia-M10000, alleged future nVidia graphics cards)

But remember that you'll need CPU for a number of other tasks for a
full-featured front-end/back-end Myth box:

Transcoding and commercial detection will chew on the CPU.  That runs in
the background, so it's not a big deal as long as you're not recording
too many shows for it to keep up.

Playback of transcoded and imported video files may not be supported by
hardware acceleration.  You'll need more CPU depending on the video
format and bitrate.

MythGame will use significant CPU.

Unfortunately, I don't know of a good resource for determining exactly
what speed is necessary.  I went with an AMD 2500+, mainly because it
was the slowest speed (least power/heat) for that generation of
processor (the "Barton" core).  It seems to be overkill for my usage.

--PC