[mythtv-users] mythtv backend on a laptop?

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 24 00:01:23 EST 2004

almyth at sbcglobal.net wrote:

> Hi,
>
>         I checked the maillists and could not find anything on running
> mythtv backend on a laptop, though people have reported running frontend
> successfully on laptops.   Is it possible to run mythtv backend on a
> laptop?  It would be cool to do so.   Are there nice capture cards for
> laptops supported by MythTV/linux?  In the MythTV document, it's clearly
> stated that WinTV-PVR USB2 is not supported, which makes me wonder does
> Mythtv support  any usb captures cards at all?
>
>      Also, any suggestions on buying what kind of laptops to make MythTV
> installation possible and easy?
>

> Your comments are very much appreciated!

MythTV will support any card or device supported by the V4L kernel
subsystem, as well as the ivtv driver.  I believe there are some USB
webcams that are supported by V4L, but I don't know if there are any
supported USB tuners.  One problem is that USB 1.1 doesn't really have
the bandwidth for full uncompressed NTSC video.

-JAC