[mythtv-users] NForce2 integrated TV-out quality issues

Ville Vehvilainen buddha at cs.tut.fi
Tue Mar 23 04:09:32 EST 2004

Hello,

People seem to favor using Nvidia's products due to their good Linux
support. However, I've been having tv-out quality issues on my integrated
NForce2 GeForce 4MX GPU.

The image is not nearly as bright as the real TV, and when I try to adjust
the brightness level it only makes the darks more bright and does nothing
to the light colors. White is more like light grey.

In addition, depending on the brightness/contrast settings, either the
light or dark end of the spectrum loses color resolution. While the middle
shades are ok, I cannot currently obtain sufficient color fidelity
throughout the entire spectrum.

Also, overscan adjustment does not work, even with the 4336 drivers.
Whatever value I put into the TVOverScan setting in XF86Config, small
black bars exist around the picture. This is however not a showstopper.

This is worse in PAL than in NTSC (my TV supports both), but since the
programming is all 50Hz PAL using the 60Hz NTSC mode is not a real option.
I'm currently using the 720x576 resolution, since that matches the
resolution of the DVB stream.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm considering switching to an
ATI-based video card (having had good experiences on their tv-out quality
under Windows) but am concerned about their support under Linux.

I also have a couple of Matrox G450 cards which supposedly have terrific
TV-out quality, but the hurdles of getting MythTV to work with DirectFB
seem rather high.

--
Ville Vehviläinen <buddha at cs.tut.fi> Tel. +358 40 8491076