[mythtv-users] Hardware suggestions for a newcomer

J. Donavan Stanley jdonavan at jdonavan.net
Mon Mar 22 22:06:22 EST 2004

Mitko Haralanov wrote:

>1. What is better: using a video card for the TV out or using the TV out
>of the WinTV PVR 350? I did read that there are some problems with the
>PVR's TVout (in the ivtv module).

IMO you're better off with a Video card and a PVR250.

>2. I read that if I use the PVR-350 to record my shows, then edit the
>recording to remove the commercials, the end result will not be able to
>be played back using the PVR-350 decoder. Is that correct?

Not nessesarily.  As long as you keep it in MPEG2 format you'd be fine.

>3. If the above is correct, is it better to get the cheaper PVR-250 and
>use the video card's hw decoder for playback? Will that work better with
>edited streams?

Due to the problem / limitations of the 350s, combined with the fact
that you're pretty much locked into standard def output I'd say the PVR
250 is more sensible route.

>4. According to one of the posters on the mailing list, there is a
>specific version of the PVR-250 that is preferred (48432). What does
>that mean? Are other version incompatible with MythTV?

There is one specific PVR250 (that I know of) that's incompatible.  If
you buy your PVR250 from a store you should have zero problems though.

>5. I have a very old NVidia GeForce256 DDR that has TVout. Does that
>card work with MythTV at all? If yes, does anyone know how well?

Sorry no idea.

>6. For people that are using the Chaintech 7NIF2 motherboard, is the
>onboard audio and video powerful enough for good playback? I am going to
>be hooking up the audio to a receiver and to the TV.

The video is fantastic.  The sound is great as well.  Though the 7NIF2
no longer comes with an SPDIF interface.