[mythtv-users] Can anyone answer this?

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Mon Mar 22 15:20:48 EST 2004

On Monday 22 March 2004 05:22, Drew Gilkey wrote:
> Drew Gilkey wrote:
> >Sorry didnt take notice to the "This is what happens when you send
> > in html:" As I thought it was just part of the reply to quote, so I
> > didnt look over it carefully. Here is the message in plain text(or
> > at least should be)
> >

> >+--------+-------------+-------------+-----------+----------+-------
> >-------+----------------+-----------------------+--------------+----
> >----------+--------------+-----------------------+------------------
> >+------------------+
> >
> >| cardid | videodevice | audiodevice | vbidevice | cardtype |
> >| defaultinput audioratelimit | hostname | dvb_swfilter |
> >| dvb_recordts | dvb_sat_type |
> >
> >dvb_wait_for_seqstart | dvb_dmx_buf_size | dvb_pkt_buf_size |
> >+--------+-------------+-------------+-----------+----------+-------
> >-------+----------------+-----------------------+--------------+----
> >----------+--------------+-----------------------+------------------
> >+------------------+
> >
> >| 1 | /dev/video0 | /dev/dsp | /dev/vbi | V4L | Television | 0 |
> >
> >localhost.localdomain | 0 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 8192 | 8192 |

> >"That said, I'll attempt an answer:
> >
> >The fact that you're getting a "Remote encoder not responding"
> > message suggest to me that you might have something awry in your
> > database.
> >
> >>From your message I'm guessing that you're running a single machine
> >> as
> >
> >a combined frontend/backend, yet the backend thinks that the TV card
> > -- well, TV card #1 anyway -- is on another machine. I'd be
> > interested to see the contents of your capturecard table:
> >
> >mysql -u mythtv -pmythtv mythconverg
> >
> >mysql> select * from capturecard ;
> >

> >-JAC "

> > Find a broadband plan that fits. Great local deals on high-speed
> > Internet access.
> > http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200360ave/direct/01/ Logging to
> > file 'sqlinfo.txt' mysql> exit Logging to file 'sqlinfo.txt' mysql>
> > select * from capturecard ;
> >+--------+-------------+-------------+-----------+----------+-------
> >-------+----------------+-----------------------+--------------+----
> >----------+--------------+-----------------------+------------------
> >+------------------+
> >
> >| cardid | videodevice | audiodevice | vbidevice | cardtype |
> >| defaultinput audioratelimit | hostname | dvb_swfilter |
> >| dvb_recordts | dvb_sat_type |
> >
> >dvb_wait_for_seqstart | dvb_dmx_buf_size | dvb_pkt_buf_size |
> >+--------+-------------+-------------+-----------+----------+-------
> >-------+----------------+-----------------------+--------------+----
> >----------+--------------+-----------------------+------------------
> >+------------------+
> >
> >| 1 | /dev/video0 | /dev/dsp | /dev/vbi | V4L | Television | 0 |
> >
> >localhost.localdomain | 0 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 8192 | 8192 |
> [...]

Hmmm... well something certainly seems flakey.  It looks to me like the
running mythbackend process doesn't think its hostname is
"localhost.localdomain", so it's looking for a slave backend named
"localhost.localdomain" to contact.  I'd suggest you get your network
properly configured with a real hostname, then clear your capturecard
info from the database & re-run mythtv-setup.

-JAC