[mythtv-users] Assorted questions from a new user

Matt R. mattr at erols.com
Mon Mar 22 14:23:53 EST 2004

wwexell at heidewexell.net wrote:

>>I'm a ReplayTV 4000 series user, so I come to the table with that
>>paradigm.  I am a bit confused by the purpose of the seperable frontend
>>and backend.
>>

>Easy example might clear a lot up for you.  One TV/PVR in the bedroom, one
>in the living room.  The one in the living room is Master Backend, both
>act as frontends.  This will allow the following options.
>
>1.  Record 2 shows at once.
>2.  Record a show with either frontend and watch it in either location.
>3.  Manage all your files, drives, etc, from one location.  Also, only
>need to upgrade drives in one machine when it starts getting full.
>4.  Removes the management of multiple recording scheduling. Eg, with 2
>ReplayTVs, if you want to record 4 shows that sometimes conflict, you have
>to specify which shows to record on which ReplayTV and keep track of it.
>Now what happens if Show A was recorded in the bedroom and you want to
>watch in the living room?  With a front-back system, the single backend
>manages it all for you.

Does this mean that all of the tuners are located in the master
backend?  Or does the master backend simply manage its own tuner and a
tuner located in the other box?  From option 3 it sounds like you
suggest that ALL content is actually stored on the master backend.  That
is certainly a big departure from the RTV4K's approach.

>If I'm not mistaken, even having 2 ReplayTV systems will not allow you to
>do options 2,3,4.

In the case of the ReplayTV 4000 series, the only aspect of option 2 that can't be done is to use Box A to instruct Box B to record a certain show.  This can sort of be accomplished using the MyReplaytv.com website, however.  Each ReplayTV 4000 shares it's content with each other via http streams.  I frequently use Box A to watch content recorded by (and stored on) Box B.  In fact, I can even transfer content to a PC which emulates another Replay4K and acts as a jukebox.

The ability to "manage" files located on a remote box is present, but very limited.  You can delete an episode, but you can't (remotely) delete the show from the list of those scheduled to record.

The ReplayTV 5500's do all of 1,2,3, and 4... but they have no commercial skip (and are therefore worthless to me).  The 5500's resolve conflicts amongst themselves when they can.

- Matt