[mythtv-users] Just built MythTV, beginner questions

Maarten mythtv at ultratux.org
Sat Mar 20 17:44:59 EST 2004

On Tuesday 16 March 2004 16:36, Patrick Reynolds wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Mar 2004, Maarten van den Berg wrote:
> > On Sunday 14 March 2004 08:49, Dirk Aust wrote:
> > > Your CPU will hardly manage ONE capture but never 2, I would guess
> > > buying a PVR-250, it works well for me, but should try if you can
> > > playback at least MPEG1 on your machine.

> An Athlon 2600+ should do a fine job of capturing one signal at full
> resolution.  It probably won't be enough for two.  (My 2400+ is about 80%
> doing 640x480 Live TV.)  Even if the CPU has enough power to encode two
> MPEG4 streams, you might get bus conflicts or missed interrupts trying to
> move that much data around from two sources at once.

I have a followup on that.  It may sound strange to you but the figures I get
are lower on the CPU usage as what you observed:

When recording only (at 480x480, mpeg4, bitrate 2200 -which I believe is the
default) I get only ~30% CPU usage.  When watching Live TV, that number goes
up to 60%.  Therefore, I have to believe that recording two streams should be
feasible, using these settings. Haven't tried it yet, though...

Maarten

--
Linux: Because rebooting is for adding hardware.