[mythtv-users] Re: TV Data Feeds (was: Commercial releases of MythTV?)

Örn Hansen orn.hansen at swipnet.se
Sat Mar 20 05:05:25 EST 2004

lördag 20 mars 2004 02:09 skrev Chris Petersen:
> The TV data belongs to the TV data sites.  It's a copyright violation,
> or something like it, to "share" the data with unauthorized parties.
> Other than that, not everyone is willing to open up their firewalls to
> their mythtv boxes so something like bittorrent can work.

  It's not really copyright infringement, if you're not copying it ... copying
implies distribution.  It doesn't change anything for them, weather you the
individual, weather you view it with the web browser IE, Mozilla, or through
a browser in MythTV.

  Of course, mythweb can be considered infringement, since it does facilitate
distribution of those sites content.

> A better (albeit more difficult) method would be to work directly with
> the TV data distributors and see if we can work out a deal for getting
> full, legal feeds.
>
> eg.  I'd personally have NO problem with sending my viewing/recording
> habit data into a company like zap2it in exchange for free listings.
> After all, that's just one way a company like Tivo tries to offset
> costs.  And since mythtv is open source, it would be VERY easy to see
> exactly what data is being sent, and make sure that no personal data
> gets used, other than maybe some demographic info like zip/postal code
> (needed for listings, anyway) and age.

  The fact of the matter is, that most companies that would be creating such
ready made boxes, would be contacting some provider and make a deal with
them.  As a company creating such boxes, wouldn't want such sites to suddenly
disappear and make their boxes unusable.  The fact, that some of these sites
are "blocking" suggests, that to some company has made a deal for them "too
block".  Perhaps, a rivalling company that is selling such media boxes.