[mythtv-users] first time HTPCer - double check me

Daniel Walton dwalton at cisco.com
Fri Mar 19 17:10:36 EST 2004

Thanks Jarod

> > > - Athlon Barton XP 2800
>
> Should be okay for HDTV, not positive... The rest of the hardware looks fine
> (though I'm slightly leery of a USB2 connected hard drive under Linux).

k, I'll do some digging and see if anyone else have used USB connected
harddrives.

> > > Questions
> > > ---------
> > > - I own a nice MX-500 remote, what do I need for the HTPC so I can
> > > control myth?
>
> An IR receiver of some kind and the appropriate lirc config files. I use a
> RadioShack universal remote myself.

Any recomendations for an IR receiver or will pretty much anyone do for linux?

> > > - What is the recommended VGA->component cable?  Is this the optimal way
> > > for me to get component video out of my HTPC?
>
> In your case, yes. And it isn't just a cable, unless your set can accept RGB
> component video. YPbPr component video requires a signal transcoder (see the
> link I provided above).

hmmm, how about Crescendo-Systems TC2000?  Any experience with one of those.

> > > - If I record a show off a HD channel but the show really isn't in HD,
> > > will the program still take up 9G an hour or will it take up as much as a
> > > regular digital recording?
>
> HD streams can vary a ton in how much bandwidth is actually used... If the
> not-really-HD stuff is broadcast at a lower bandwidth, it'll use less
> space...

makes sense

> > > - I'm planning on using KnoppMyth R4V2, will that work ok with all this
> > > hardware?
>
> It should. You may have to find kernel source matching the kernel (or get new
> source and recompile a kernel), because you need the kernel source to be able
> to compile the pcHDTV's drivers, unless I'm mistaken.
>
> Oh, and I'm not sure if it is still an issue or not, but in the past, a
> PVR-x50 and pcHDTV in the same system often didn't play nice together...

cool, I'll dig some on the knoppmyth forum before I install.

Daniel