[mythtv-users] Commercial releases of MythTV?

Tony Maro tony at maro.net
Fri Mar 19 14:26:38 EST 2004

Joseph A. Caputo wrote:

> Hmm, I haven't read the GPL in a while either, but I don't believe it
> stipulates the method by which it must be made available... simply that
> it must be freely available, either by distributing it with the binary
> (which presumably they've done if you can pull the code off the box),
> or by providing contact information to allow you to request a free
> copy.  Hell, they could could provide you a printout via snail mail if
> that's what they wanted to do, as long as they didn't charge you for it
> (I think they might be able to charge shipping in that case, but
> still...).  I don't believe that the GPL stipulates that 'freely
> available' has to mean 'freely downloadable'.

You are correct.  The only way I see that they could fail the GPL test
is if someone officially REQUESTED a copy of the sources and was told it
was either not available, or would cost more than say, $30 (US) +
shipping & handling (reasonable copying fees.)

I personally don't have a problem with the way they do things as long as
they support their own customer base and comply with the above comments
(and all aspects of) the GPL.  I mean, no doubt they've put a lot of
time & money into making it commercially ready.  We all know that MythTV
likes some mobo's more than others, etc... and they've apparently worked
out those kinks PLUS added support for automatic downloads of updates
(pre-compiled no doubt, as they know what all their own hardware entails.)

But I'm not a lawyer OR a real MythTV developer, so what do I know???

-Tony Maro