[mythtv-users] Some questions before I breakout the Mastercard

davatar davatar at comcast.net
Fri Mar 19 15:11:52 EST 2004

> StorageReview.com has it at 35db standby, 39db during access.  I
> believe that those are very good numbers.  I also heard a rumor
> that current WDxxJB drives use fluid dynamic bearings so they
> should be as quiet as any out there (but I wouldn't necessarily
> take that as gospel, I think the WDxxPB drives are the ones
> with the fluid dynamic bearings).

That's pretty freakn' loud.

http://www.maxtor.com/en/documentation/data_sheets/maxline_data_sheet.pdf

25db idle, 36db in _performance_ seek. Of course just use hdparm acoustic
management and your seek becomes nearly 25db.

Just for reference every 3db is a doubling in power. So imagine if you took
your stereo with two speakers and then added ~40 more speakers.

Yeah, 25db is _completely_ inaudible inside a good case. :)