[mythtv-users] Some questions before I breakout the Mastercard

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Fri Mar 19 14:29:57 EST 2004

On Friday 19 March 2004 04:59, Kevin D. Snodgrass wrote:
> Jarod C. Wilson wrote:
> >> I did a lot of research yesterday and today.  I kinda like the DFI
> >> NF2  Ultra:
> >> http://www.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_product_spec_details_r_us.jsp?
> >> PRODUCT_ID=2141&CATEGORY_TYPE=MB
> >
> > Looks like a pretty decent board, but I *think* (not certain) that the
> > nVidia SoundStorm audio chipset isn't yet supported under Linux.
>
> I'm now reconsidering this.  See my message about the
> MediaMVP.  If that will work as a frontend, or an XBox, I'm
> seriously thinking about that angle...

I saw that. There is work underway to do something with the MMVP, but its a
ways away from being a Myth frontend.

> > Very true. I have to admit that most of my servers are actually either
> > Red Hat Linux 7.3 or Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3, though if you'd call a
> > MythTV system a server, then I guess I have two Fedora Core servers
> > also. ;-)
>
> It "serves" up recorded video.  It stores lots of mission
> critical data. :-P  It can allow multiple client access to
> that data.  Runs an SQL server.  24/7 operation.  Sounds
> like a server to me!

I guess it does qualify as a server, though I don't consider much of what I
watch "mission-critical". However, long ago, when a recording my wife wanted
failed, she got on me pretty good about it... (Its been flawless for months
now though).

> > Anybody else see Cisco's web site down earlier this week? Their error
> > pages said "apache 1.0"...
>
> 6:04AM Central time it works for me.

I think this was either Monday or last Friday, so yeah, I'd expect it to be
back up.

> >> OK.  I'll just get a single BIG PATA drive.  Maybe use one of my old
> >> 3-9 GB drives for an install drive and the big one for the data files.
> >
> > I'm using a 250GB WD Special Ed (8MB cache) drive that I got for about
> > $120 after rebates. Couldn't be happier with it.
>
> That's cheap!

That's what I said. Wish I could have got more! It wasn't long ago that I paid
more than that (sans-rebates) for 120GB drives...

> I love standards.  So many to choose from...

Bingo. Unless you're Microsoft. Then there is only one standard that matter --
their corruption of the open one... (though I have to admit, I do like Active
Directory -- I admin Win2k/2k3 servers at work too).

> I think I'll hold off ordering the 350, at least until I
> decide on what to use for play back.

Probably prudent.

> > My Tyan Thunder K7 board has 6x 64-bit PCI slots, AGP 4x and onboard
> > ATi video... But yeah, no onboard TV-Out...
>
> Tyan makes some rocking dualies.

A bit spendier than others, but they do kick. I love this board. I loved my
Tiger MPX until I blew it up last week too...

> >> Not being a gamer I almost never read ANYTHING about XBox.  Solding
> >> iron needed?
> >
> > You do need a mod-chip, I believe, but I'm not certain, and I can't
> > recall if there are any that don't require soldering.
>
> Anybody on this list know for sure?  Where else should I ask?

There are a number of XBox forums out there that would likely provide a
definitive answer, but there are also lots of XBox users on the list. Might
try asking in a new thread though, since we're kinda buried down here... ;-)

Moving my replies to the rest of your email to another message, off-list... =)

- --
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...
     http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/