[mythtv-users] Commercial releases of MythTV?

Stelios Valavanis stel at onshore.com
Fri Mar 19 13:01:45 EST 2004

i'm surprised nobody from D1 has chimed in here. i think commercial efforts
are a big boost to mythtv (and all open source efforts) even if they don't
contribute funds though they should.

the BIG thing is that they get involved in the development efforts because
they've obviously added capabilities or made it prettier or at least produced
some additional user documentation. contributing this back is the least bit
of payback they ought to do.

in the short and long run it's also a huge benefit to D1 and others to tout
the open source foundation (well probably 99% of it). sure they'd have to
warn people that want to tinker that any deviation limits what D1 can support
but people understand that. also anybody who really gets at the guts will
probably be building their own box anyway. the vast vast majority of the
market will buy from them because they want it ready to go.

check out www.interact-tv.com. their "telly" product runs on linux (like tivo)
and not only do they tout it, they give you root password to the box and
encourage you to add your own drives and whatnot. i didn't spent much less
than the $750 they chare for their low-end box and if i add my time i spent a
LOT more. still i wanted to build a box and love it. nuff sed.