[mythtv-users] Confused: PVR-250 to DVD

James L. Paul james at mauibay.net
Fri Mar 19 12:56:23 EST 2004

On Friday 19 March 2004 04:31, Chip wrote:
> Okay, I admit it, I am totally confused about how to get a MythTV
> recording to a DVD.

FWIW, I've done this successfully many times using an admittedly cumbersome
manual process I've never changed because it works and I'm lazy.

> I have taped a show and want to burn it to DVD (menuless, I just want to
> put the DVD in and have it run).  It was taped using the default
> format.  Here is what I did to get that nice coaster:
>
> 1.  I ran avidemux to cut the commercials and saved it as a DVD PS format.

I've never successfully used avidemux, I hear other's have. I use avidemux2.
I've also never used avidemux2 to process the video, I always save the raw
video and audio and mplex them outside of avidemux2.

> 2.  I ran 'dvdauthor -o <dvd directory> <saved file from step 1>'

I do this as well, but also use the -t switch that may be unnecessary.

> 3.  I then ran 'dvdauthor -o <dvd directory> -T

Yes, exactly.

> 4.  I then burned the CD using K3B, dragging each of the two created
> directories into the new video DVD project

My version that came with SuSE 9.0 doesn't know how to create DVD-Video
images, I didn't know that has been added to K3B. I create the image using:

mkisofs -dvd-video -o <imagefile> <dvd directory>

Then I burn with the prodvd version of cdrecord.

> It looks good, but then bombs when I try to play it.
>
> After doing reading, I know I have to change the format of the video to
> be either 720x480, 352x480 or 352x240 (default is 480x480).  I will
> change this on my next test.  The audio part looks fine (48Khz, 384Kbps).

This is a BIG problem. The DVD standard does not allow 480x480, you definitely
need to use DVD-compliant video. I use 704x480 and 352x480 for video targeted
for DVDs.

> Can anyone see what I am doing wrong?  Also, when I was setting up my
> "high quality" for my PVR-250, I noticed that there is a stream type for
> DVD, should I be using that?

I don't. Never tried it. I