[mythtv-users] RE: Identifying a NEW PVR 250

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Fri Mar 19 11:46:04 EST 2004

On Friday 19 March 2004 11:05, Adrian Byng-Clarke wrote:
> At this point I would like to get the card working with mythtv. I
> figured that a good first step would be to try to get a picture with
> xawtv. However, only one channel exists on  the tuner (tuner0),
> channel 62. When I go to that channel, I just get static with some
> horizontal bands.

xawtv won't work with a hardware encoder card, as it can't decode MPEG.
It merely displays raw video grabbed from a 'frame grabber' type card,
like most standard bttv cards.

To test a PVR-250 (or similar card), try:

(You might want to use test_ioctl or some other program to tune the card
to a channel first.)

cat /dev/videoX > test.mpg  (Ctrl-C to stop after a few seconds)
mplayer test.mpg

(where /dev/videoX is your video device, i.e. /dev/video0, /dev/video1,
etc)

-JAC