[mythtv-users] Commercial releases of MythTV?

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Fri Mar 19 11:12:00 EST 2004

At 10:37 AM 3/19/2004 -0500, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
>On Thursday 18 March 2004 18:03, Aaron Stewart wrote:
> > I'd be concerned that D1 is not clearly delineating their affiliation
> > with the Myth project.. the single mention in their documentation is
> > unclear.
> >
> > I haven't read the GPL in a while.. Shouldn't they also be
> > contributing back? According to their manual, the only way you can
> > get their "modified" source code is to pull it off the box directly,
> > indicating that it isn't freely available, no?
>
>Hmm, I haven't read the GPL in a while either, but I don't believe it
>stipulates the method by which it must be made available... simply that
>it must be freely available,

There is nothing in the GPL that says the source must be "freely
available", in the sense of "available" that everyone here seems to be
using. The GPL requires you to provide the source to anyone you sell or
give the binaries to. That is, you must provide souce to all of your
customers (in this case, that would be anyone who buys one of the things
... so distributing the souce on the device itself certainly qualifies),
but you have no obligation to provide it to everyone who asks for it.

I would urge anyone who does not believe me to read the GPL before
responding, because this is a very common misunderstanding of the GPL.