[mythtv-users] LIRC: Beware of brain-dead packagers! (was: Lirc problems w/PVR-250)

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Fri Mar 19 01:30:49 EST 2004

On Mar 18, 2004, at 20:30, john lawler wrote:

> Don't know if this'll help you at all, but I was having a similar
> issue (though in gentoo with a manually compiled lirc version).  It'd
> work when I first set it up, but then on reboot, what'd happen is
> somehow my devfs would change the device that was installed by the
> manual lirc build, and I'd end up with a /dev/lirc/0 instead of
> /dev/lirc (and also a /dev/lircd).  My /etc/init.d/lircd script was
> assuming the device was on /dev/lirc, so when it tried to open it
> there, it found a directory instead of a device, and reported errors
> similar to what you're seeing.
>
> My solution was just to modify my /etc/init.d/lircd script to include
> the lircd command line option '-d /dev/lirc/0', and now whenever I
> reboot it works fine.
>
> Again, I'm guessing that this may not be your problem, but maybe it'll
> help a gentooer out there.

Dan Conti wrote the list a few days back saying there was a bug checked
into lirc CVS a little while back that is likely the cause of most
people's current problems. It has been remedied, and new packages
should hit the streets shortly, if they haven't already.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...
     http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/