[mythtv-users] LIRC: Beware of brain-dead packagers! (was: Lirc problems w/PVR-250)

john lawler maillist at tgice.com
Thu Mar 18 23:30:14 EST 2004

Don't know if this'll help you at all, but I was having a similar issue
(though in gentoo with a manually compiled lirc version).  It'd work
when I first set it up, but then on reboot, what'd happen is somehow my
devfs would change the device that was installed by the manual lirc
build, and I'd end up with a /dev/lirc/0 instead of /dev/lirc (and also
a /dev/lircd).  My /etc/init.d/lircd script was assuming the device was
on /dev/lirc, so when it tried to open it there, it found a directory
instead of a device, and reported errors similar to what you're seeing.

My solution was just to modify my /etc/init.d/lircd script to include
the lircd command line option '-d /dev/lirc/0', and now whenever I
reboot it works fine.

Again, I'm guessing that this may not be your problem, but maybe it'll
help a gentooer out there.

jl