[mythtv-users] No Capture Card!

Khanh Tran khanh at slc.edu
Thu Mar 18 14:45:18 EST 2004

Ok, so I may be trying to attempt the impossible here...

I wanted to see if MythTV would compile on SuSE, and it has.  I'm having
an issue starting the MySQL server, where running the mysql startup
script on SuSE claim it fails, but it really is running and no errors
are in the logs.  Nonetheless, mythbackend starts.  It runs for a while
and then when I start mythfrontend and access something in the TV
module, mythbackend crashes with no errors in the log (even in verbose
mode).

I suppose I may be attempting to do something that no logical person
would try, but is it possible to run mythfrontend even though I don't
have a capture card?  I really wanted to see all the other modules and
exactly how hard it was (and it actually wasn't) to compile, before I
ran out and purchased hardware.  So, am I really having a problem that
would be remedied by an actual capture card?

-Khanh Tran
khanh at khanh.net