[mythtv-users] ivtv working..but mythfrontend..not

Shane Hetzel shane-lists at thehillpeople.org
Thu Mar 18 01:41:24 EST 2004

Well, a couple of hours have gone by, I'll toss in my analysis of your
situation.

First, I don't know what's going on with IvTV. I get the same "unknown
ioctl" in messages, but the read error with /dev/video0 is beyond me.

What I noticed was your sound module errors. Are you specifically trying to
set up a two sound card system? Because that's what those errors are most
likely from. If you took Jarod's guide too literally, you may have set up
ALSA for both a SB Audigy and the nForce sound devices, both of which which
he has in his test system. If you only have the nForce motherboard audio
present, then you only need the "intel8x0" driver. Your section of
/etc/modules.conf should look something like this:

# ALSA portion
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0

# OSS/Free portion
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
#options snd-pcm-oss dsp_map=1

# OSS/Free portion - card #1
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

alias /dev/mixer snd-mixer-oss
alias /dev/dsp snd-pcm-oss
alias /dev/midi snd-seq-oss

Notice that card "0" is the only one referenced in any of that. Fix this and
some of your boot messages will go away. Test it with aplay or mpg123 (with
a WAV or MP3 file, respectively).

Sorry if some of this seems redundant. It's been a while since I've read
Jarod's (extremely useful) document. I doubt if that's the root of your
video issue, however it may clear up some issues that you may have in the
(hopefully near) future.

-Shane