[mythtv-users] Some questions before I breakout the Mastercard

Maarten van den Berg mythtv at ultratux.org
Wed Mar 17 21:27:53 EST 2004

On Thursday 18 March 2004 01:55, Jarod C. Wilson wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-03-17 at 12:11, Maarten wrote:

> Oh, I know things haven't always been rosy. Lots of people weren't very
> happy until 6.2, which is when I *really* got into Linux hard-core, so I
> probably missed out on some of your trials and tribulations (at that
> point, I was in college playing baseball most of the time, only dabbling
> in Linux with what little spare time I had).

Well.  First off, I'm glad you took it so well, you being a RHCE and all.

Secondly, it was of course *my*own* fault too; I should have been much more
thorough in stress testing the box prior to rollout, or even passing on it
entirely while the Glibc bugs were ironed out. But you know how it is, you
"need" those new fancy libs, and time is invariably short... :-(
But this was bad. That RH5.0 box was built on really fine hardware (mylex
card, scsi raid, enormous amounts of RAM [for that era; I think it had a
whopping 192 MB]) and for a good reason because it served as a
backup-fileserver & development server and it also served a handful X
terminals for a small workgroup in a small company. Truely NOT the best role
for an -in hindsight- unstable server.
I still sometimes have nightmares of all those X terminal users yelling,
perfectly in sync: "Maarten!  It froze up again!"  (nope, just kidding!)

> > Sorry for getting so carried away here... ;-)   I'll stop right now.
>
> No problem, I like to hear other people's thoughts, especially when they
> have very valid points.

well... you give me way too much credit.  It was just a rant...  ;-)

Maarten