[mythtv-users] Some questions before I breakout the Mastercard
Maarten van den Berg
mythtv at ultratux.org
Wed Mar 17 08:12:06 EST 2004
On Wednesday 17 March 2004 12:44, Kevin D. Snodgrass wrote:
> Jarod C. Wilson wrote:
> >> Suse 9
> > Asking for trouble. One of the most problem-plagued distros for MythTV.
Ahem. I beg to differ. I had it working in a few hours, with NO troubles
whatsoever on SuSE 9. The fact that I played around with an older SuSE (8.0)
and could not get it to work (qt too old && upgrading that broke things) may
have something to do with that, but SuSE 9 was straightforward after that.
Short description of what I did:
* Install distro (doh)
* Using Yast2, search for all *-devel-* packages and install the ones that
seem relevant to you (or all, if you're unsure) Let Yast2 solve all deps.
* Same thing for any perl related module you deem necessary.
* Run online update, just in case. DO select any available KDE updates
* Download tar.bz2 packages of MythTV, lame and Xmltv
* DO remember to run 'export QTDIR=...' etc.
* Start the -seemingly endless- mythtv compile...
* Meanwhile compile lame (no issues whatsoever)
* Run perl Makefile.PL in Xmltv; it tells you what you still need to do
* Using 'perl -MCPAN -e shell' install / upgrade what Xmltv told you.
* Make, make test, make install. Install MythTV when compile is ready.
Yes, I'm totally aware that I just installed software outside of the RPM db.
Truth is, I don't care. I've done it for years, never gives any problems...
Especially not for a dedicated box, as a MythTV install probably is.
Incidentally, I'd be glad to help, if you run into problems.
> Too bad. Suse 9 is at the top of the list for my server,
> after this project is done.
I'd say, go for it.
More information about the mythtv-users