[mythtv-users] x-box or cheap PC for frontends?

Brian Cecile briancecile13 at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 16 14:41:02 EST 2004

Just a heads up too it's looking like Microsoft is dropping the price on the
Xbox too. It's should about $149.99 starting just after the end of March. I
mod xboxes on the side and they're not that hard to do. Check out
www.xbox-scene.com for more info.

>Message: 3
>Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 07:23:22 -0600
>From: Bill Bradley <wbradley at bham.rr.com>
>Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] x-box or cheap PC for frontends?
>To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>Well it depends on how you want to install linux on it.  You can use the
>software mod with MechAssault to install linux.  This will allow you to
>install to the save game partition.  If you have a mod chipped xbox, you
>flash the bios and replace the hard drive with a larger model and just run
>linux.  I used the software mod.  This requires that the MS Dashboard be of
>certain version. MS updated the dashboard via xbox live to fix the
>vulnerability that allowed you to run unsigned code from the MEchAssault
>game.  I bought a refurbed box off of ebay, figuring that it would have the
>original dash on it and I lucked out.  There is a step by step guide and an
>xbox hardware db @ http://xbox-linux.sourceforge.net/ that you will want to
>check out....
>As far as video inputs, if I was using the wrong terms...I meant the
>"Yellow, Red, White" input connectors.  I dont have the svideo kit, so I
>know if this works or not.  Check the http://xbox-linux.sourceforge.net/
>for more info...

MSN Premium: Up to 11 personalized e-mail addresses and 2 months FREE*