[mythtv-users] Just built MythTV, beginner questions

maarten van den Berg mythtv at ultratux.org
Tue Mar 16 13:17:30 EST 2004

On Tuesday 16 March 2004 16:43, Patrick Reynolds wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Mar 2004, maarten wrote:
> > What is 'better' to use, rtjpeg or mpeg4 ?
>
> RTjpeg normally takes less CPU power and exhibits fewer (or at least
> different) artifacts, but it takes much more disk space.

Yes... I should have lurked around some more, I soon gathered that from a post
here or in some archive...  thanks.

> > I also notice mpeg2 in some menus, but there is no option to select
> > mpeg2 in the other [encoding] menus ?
>
> PVR-x50 cards record in MPEG2.  MythTV has no option to encode MPEG2 in
> software, only RTjpeg and MPEG4.

Oh. Why is that ?  Is mpeg2 encoding that much harder than mpeg4 ?
(not that it changes anything, just being curious)

> > Does it matter whether I leave the resolution at 480x480 (default) or
> > better at 1/2 PAL 384x288 (current setting) for my system ?
>
> My impression is that you're better off using a vertical resolution of 288
> or 576 for a PAL signal.  The 480x480 default is NTSC-oriented.  At least
> for NTSC, the horizontal can be anything, whatever looks good and doesn't
> swamp your CPU.

I'm back at default settings now, having a fast cpu, but I'll try the 576
setting.  But I was led to believe PAL was 720 lines, not 576 ?  Or is that
including the non-visible lines ?  That would explain it.

> > Where do you select what resolution settings
> > (default,live-tv,low-q,high-q) gets used when recording ? I did not see
> > (or read) that anywhere.
>
> It's in the advanced recording options screen.  You can get to it by
> hitting 'I' repeatedly in the EPG or the "fix schedule" screen.

Okay. I'm still trying to figure out all the keys and their meaning...

> > This would be good to know in advance; if a PVR250 gives a better overall
> > picture then I should maybe reconsider the athlon altogether and buy a
> > PVR250 instead (so I can keep using this hardware).
>
> Plenty of discussion on that in the archives, even within the past week.
> Some people (but not all) claim the PVR-250 looks as good as (or, for a
> few people, better than) their TV's tuner.  Having a digital
> cable/satellite feed apparently helps, because the MPEG2 codec is happier
> with a clean signal.

I don't know if it's the new case or the new CPU or whatever, but I now get a
reasonably good picture, better than Xawtv does (in my opinion). I attribute
it to the fact that the PCI slot is much further away from the CPU now. So
this has become a moot point for now.  Sorry if I missed that thread though.

Thanks,
Maarten

--
Yes of course I'm sure it's the red cable. I guarante[^%!/+)F#0c|'NO CARRIER