[mythtv-users] non timeshifted video

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Tue Mar 16 10:36:08 EST 2004

On Monday 15 March 2004 22:17, Brian May wrote:
>     >> Does myth yet offer support for non-timeshifted video, similar
>     >> to say with xawtv?  I know this question has come up several
>     >> times in the past (I've even
>     >>
>     >> asked it myself before) and that there are workarounds, just
>     >> want to confirm whether this feature is native yet.
>
>     J> If you're talking about watching TV without the associated
>     J> delay of a PVR then the answer is no, with an additional "and
>     J> it probably never will be" added on for good measure.
>
> I am just curious, what are the technical reasons for this delay?
>
> Presumably the PVR somehow uses the delay to get better compression?

The delay is simply the a side-effect... Myth takes the raw video
stream, encodes it, writes it to disk... then the frontend reads it
from disk (or it's read from disk by the backend & served to the
frontend), decodes it, and displays it.

That whole process takes a non-zero amount of time; hence the delay in
LiveTV.

-JAC