[mythtv-users] switching audio inputs btaudio vs. sound card

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Tue Mar 16 10:24:44 EST 2004

On Monday 15 March 2004 17:42, rhanders at theantfarm.net wrote:
> > still ironing out a few issues here in my new install but one
> > tricky one i cannot think of how to tackle is this. my kworld 878rf
> > card has an RF, composite, and s-video input. it has an audio
> > output but no audio input.
>
> I have the same card. I use the mini-plug cable that it came with to
> patch the audio out from the tuner card to the audio in on my sound
> card.
>
> > i've
> > installed the btaudio alsa module (not working yet - will try oss
> > module) and
> > want to get tv audio from here. i have configured inputs so that my
> > vcr is attached to the composite input. to get audio from the vcr i
> > have to use the
> > sound card. i guess i could put a splitter there and take tv audio
> > from the
> > audio out on the kworld card but that's just inelegant when you've
> > got btaudio. i'll switch between the inputs using the "C" command
> > and i'm not tuning into tv with the vcr. i just want to be able to
> > play tapes and not need
> > a video switcher. i probably will also "rip" tapes. any ideas?
>
> You should probably install another sound card, unless you can get
> btaudio working. From what I have read, here and there, nobody has
> had success in making btaudio work with this card, but don't let that
> stop you from trying ;).

Even if you did get btaudio working, you'd still have to overcome the
fact that currently Myth only provides for associating a single dsp
device with the card.  That means you set it up to record *either* from
btaudio *or* your sound card (via patch cable), but there's currently
no method provided for it to switch dsp devices when it switches card
inputs.  So, even a second sound card wouldn't help your situation.

Though, that would be a useful patch for some people...

-JAC