[mythtv-users] ATA RAID Question

maarten van den Berg mythtv at ultratux.org
Tue Mar 16 07:48:16 EST 2004

On Tuesday 16 March 2004 12:12, David wrote:
> and aren't 5400 drives a *lot* cooler?
>
> I 've made the mistake of buying a 7200 SATA disk and they run hot!
> Which means I need fans which means noise...

I fully concur.  For instance, I have a home fileserver built with 6 disks in
software raid5 configuration. I settled for 5400 rpm disks after I realised
that _whatever_ I did, the home 100Mbit LAN would be the bottleneck anyway.
Any reasonably modern drive could sustain 10Mbyte/s and that is the
theoretical top speed of 100Mbit ethernet which is never reached in practice.

The only two instances in which that decision would be wrong in hindsight
would conceivably be
A) when I would migrate to gigabit LAN
B) When I would run I/O-demanding apps on the fileserver itself

Well, scenario A is very unlikely because I do not need it and by the time I
would consider gigabit LAN I would laugh at the 0,4 TB capacity of the
fileserver and build a new one with, like, 2 TB diskspace or so  :-)
Scenario B does sometimes happen but its invariably a non-time critical job,
typically some cronjob or such.

Not that my six-disk two-120mm-fan system is _quiet_ though, far from it ;-)
But hey, it's a fileserver; it is stashed somewhere out of hearing-distance.

> Luckily this all got kicked off because the wife said she wanted a PVR
> and offered to donate her PC as a test bed ;)
> What we're doing now is bodging it together in her PC (which we'll
> restore at some point) and then once it's all going we'll buy a
> mobo/case etc for a dedicated machine.
>
> I'm now thinking lower end CPU (but not *too* low) with passive cooling,
> variable speed psu, 5400rpm disks (probably multiples), old VGA card (I
> may try the VGA/RGB hack at some point) and a sound card with SPDIF.

I decided on the opposite; an athlon 2600+ and a variable speed PSU which
sports a 120mm fan mounted horizontally as an intake-fan (AOpen PSU
A0350-12APNF which I can't locate on the web but it is similar to this one
but with a fan speed control):
http://english.aopen.com.tw/Products/images/power/Products/FSP300-60PN_1.jpg
Since it has real efficient airflow (look at the size of the holes in the
outlet) and a 120mm fan is _real_ powerful I think it just may serve as
cooling for the entire system. So I plan to investigate whether I can
passive-cool the (high-powered) athlon, possibly by using one of those Zalman
coolers (see  http://www.zalman.co.kr/images/0212/6100alcu3-b.gif )

I'm obviously not sure if that will work.  It is a risk, but one I'm willing
to take...  very good monitoring while doing tryouts is essential of course.

I might have another, entirely unrelated, tip for people struggling with TV
outputs and the like:  I bought a beamer a few months ago, and a beamer
almost always has a VGA input in addtion to Svideo/composite.  So I just
connect to it directly without any hassle.
Not to say that a beamer is a viable choice for anybody but please stop and
think about it a bit: I paid about US$ 1100 (1000 euros) which is a lot of
money but still somewhat affordable. And you can probably save on the cost of
an expensive "home cinema" plasma/LCD TV and on the cost of a PVR350 card as
well. And of course, combining a MythTV setup with a beamer scores you very
high points for the Wife-Acceptance-Factor and bonus nerd points as well...
;-))

One point to realize though is that a beamer uses a _very_ expensive lamp and
you have to replace it every 1000-1500 hours. But that still can go a long
way, if you watch 3 hours a day every day it's only one year but if you use
it moderately it will go 2 or 3 years with one lamp.  A lamp costs ~$500(!).
The beamer I bought is the Iiyama LPX-100, just for reference.

Maarten

--
Yes of course I'm sure it's the red cable. I guarante[^%!/+)F#0c|'NO CARRIER