[mythtv-users] Misc. PVR-350 TV-out issues

GERALD SCHEPENS schepens at shaw.ca
Mon Mar 15 18:41:18 EST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: jose rubio <debian at nc.rr.com>
Date: Monday, March 15, 2004 6:40 am
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Misc. PVR-350 TV-out issues

> On Mon, 2004-03-15 at 00:33, Gerald Schepens wrote:
> > I was able to get rid of the console framebuffer / ivtv-fb
> confusion by
> > adding video=vc:0-0 to my kernel arguments.  However the other
> two
> > issues are still active...  ivtv-fb is using /dev/fb0 still,
> which I
> > thought was a problem but doesn't actually seem to be.  Since
> the hangup
> > issue is an ivtv thing that's being looked into, the osd issue
> is the
> > only one that is likely to be solveable at this point.
> >
> > You asked about my X configuration in conjunction with my pvr-
> 350.  I
> > used to have the pvr-350 device and the screen defined in my
> XF86Config
> > file but I took them out.  I can still use the tv-out, but maybe
> I need
> > them in XF86Config in order to use the osd...
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> Yes, the osd is actually being displayed through X and hence to
> use it
> (and the frame buffer BTW) you need it in your X86Config.
>
> I have a 350 and a geforce2 card.  I have two displays :0.0 (the
> monitor) and :0.1 (the TV)
> If I run:
>
> $ export DISPLAY = :0.0 && mythfrontend
>
> tv out displays on the tv (this is governed ONLY by checking the
> appropriate box in mythfrontend setup screen) and the osd displays in
> the monitor.
>
> If I run:
>
> $ export DISPLAY = :0.1 && mythfrontend
>
> everything goes to the tv and I'm left with a fully functional desktop
> in the monitor (although it can get trick with which aplication has
> focus)
>
> I've attached my X-config file.

So, you actually do have X running on the pvr-350 as screen1, but you don't get snail-like response on the tv-out frame rate?  Hmm.  I'll try the export DISPLAY=":0.1" trick.  I did sort of have this setup before but I can't claim that I had Myth set up correctly to use the "PVR-350 TV-out" at the time, so mythtv might have been sending the video to the tv via X.

Would there be any success in setting up the pvr350 as display :1.0?  Maybe this might be a way to resolve the focus issues?

I noticed the focus confusion which can mess up your remote.  Too bad that the remote "keystrokes" can't be directed at Myth using a non-focus mechanism -- maybe allow input to MythTV from a character device that puts out the irxevent characters, or the keyboard?