[mythtv-users] Advice on Hardware

Mark Cooper mythtv-users at mcooper.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 15 13:56:34 EST 2004

Benjamin Edwards wrote:
<SNIP>
 > But my question is what TV Card(s) to use and what memory/CPU would I
 > need.  Was thinking of a sterio MPEG II HW card.  I guess the question
 > is what Card/CPU and Memory are best if the card is doing the work.
<SNIP>

How much do you want to spend? You could go for the WinTV PVR-350 which
has hardware encoding and decoding of MPEG2 along with TV-OUT or go for
the cheaper WinTV PVR-250 which only has hardware MPEG2 encoding. The
minimum CPU required is obviously different for each, with the 350
requiring the least amount of CPU grunt as the major work is done on the
card. Do you already have a mobo/CPU? Otherwise just about any entry
level CPU will do these days ( XP1800+ ) for the 350.

Although you can use 256Mb, 512 is recommended. The PVRHWDB has a number
of different PVR-x50 configs you can check at
http://pvrhw.goldfish.org/tiki-pvrhwdb.php

HTH

--

Mark Cooper