[mythtv-users] S-ATA Card recommendation

Ajay Sharma ssharma at revsharecorp.com
Mon Mar 15 12:32:16 EST 2004

Jarod C. Wilson wrote:
> On Mar 14, 2004, at 22:20, Steve Dorsey wrote:
>
>>  I have 2 SATA drives and an Intel D845EBT Mobo. I'd like to use the
>> drives on my MythTV box. Can anyone recommend a good cheap PCI SATA
>> card which will be fully Linux compatible and will work with MythTV?
>
> I believe the best supported SATA chipsets are the ones from 3ware. No
> extra drivers needed, they use the same driver as 3ware PATA chipsets,
> which has been in the kernel for some time.

Yes.  I totally agree.

While 3ware cards aren't cheap they are worth every penny since they
install as easy as a normal IDE drive.  Everything is detected on boot
and since their drivers have been in the 2.4 kernel for a while you
don't have to run any closed-source binaries or funky kernel patches.

I've built three IDE Raid servers at work and I'm using their card at
home for SATA duties.

later,
ajay

--