[mythtv-users] Quick View of Upcoming Scheduled Recordings?

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Sun Mar 14 15:59:38 EST 2004

Paul K. wrote:
>   Maybe this feature is right before my eyes and I don't see it,

It is, but I don't know if I'm more dumbfounded by the question
or the replies ;-)

I just want to be sure; this is a question about using MythTV
and not a question about ReplayTV, right? =)

>  but is the
> way for me to pull up a list in Myth of programs that are scheduled to
> record? I'm thinking that if a few people here schedule their favarite
> program, it would be hard to go through the channel viewer menu looking at
> all channels to catch what might be coming up to record.

Oh, my. Well, you don't need to access the data port or run
a webserver and go to a browser as other have suggested ;-).

In mythfrontend go to TV->Schedule Recordings->Fix Scheduling
Conflicts. This will list all of your upcoming shows. It also
gives you a lot of control for managing your schedule.

Another page that you should not overlook is TV->Schedule
Recordings->Recording Priorities. This is a complete list of all
the titles you've selected to record. This page will also include
any titles you've chosen that may not have any upcoming showings.

--  bjm

[for version 0.15]

Fix Scheduling Conflicts

The TV->Schedule Recordings->Fix Scheduling Conflicts page is your
control center for the MythTV scheduler. Unlike other DVR systems,
this one page gives you all of the information and tools you need to
see all of your alternatives and make whatever adjustments you desire.

The upper half of the screen has a scrollable box listing items that
match your record rules sorted by time. The lower half shows the
details for the highlighted item. There are two 'views' available.
Press "1" to include all of the items that do not need to be recorded
and "2" to focus on just the things that will record and items that
may need your attention. The message in the upper right-hand corner
will remind you when there are conflicts that would prevent one or
more shows from being recorded.

The items in the list are colored white for things that will record,
gray for those that do not need to record and yellow when there is a
time conflict. Items at the top of the list may also be highlighted
when the recording is in progress.

Along with the channels, start times and titles, the right-hand column
has a status code. Numbers indicate which card number has been
assigned to record the show. Letters are used to indicate the reason
that something will not be recorded. Just below the box is a short
status message for the highlighted item that indicates the type of
record rule that was matched and a one or two word explaination of the
status code. If you press SELECT, you will see more information about
the status.

There are a few status codes that may require your attention. "C"
indicates that there are more overlapping shows to record than there
are TV tuners to record them. "L" indicates that the schelduer found
that may be better to record a later showing of this episode. These
states happen as a result of your choices and should normally refect
your preferences. However, you may notice situations where you would
like to modify the scheduler's initial choices.

The first thing you can do is to highlight an item and press INFO
once or twice to see the <link>Advanced Options page<>. From this page
you can change the record rule type, the duplicate matching rules, or
raise or lower the priority to resolve whatever problem you noticed.

Additionally, you can treat any individual showing as an execption
that you do want to record or don't want to record. To use these
"override" features, highlight the item and press SELECT. You will
see a message explaining the current status and at least an "OK"
button to exit without making changes.

For items scheduled to record, there will be a button for "Don't
record it" which will prevent recording this showing but will still
allow the same episode to record in the future. If there is episode
description information, you may also see a button for "Never record
this episode". This prevents recording this showing and tells MythTV
to remember that this is an episode that you've seen or don't need to
see if it is ever in the TV listings again.

For items that are not scheduled to record, the message will describe
the reason and in the case of "C" or "L" it will include a list of the
shows that are scheduled to record instead. For any item that could
potentially be recorded there will be a "Record it anyway" button.

If you return to an override page after an override has already been
set, you will also see a "Clear override" to undo your changes. This
option makes it very easy to try out some "what if" attempts when
deciding on your best strategy in a difficult situation.