[mythtv-users] DVB Documentation Updates

Jon Whitear mythtv at whitear.org
Sat Mar 13 20:29:49 EST 2004

Martin,

Thanks for writing this guide to using DVB with MythTV - I have found it
invaluable in my attempts to get the two working together.

A couple of comments from my (newbie!) perspective:-

It may be worth emphasizing that you need to get the CVS version of
dvbstream, rather than the tar (also) available from linuxstb.org. I
initially did the latter, and it took me some time to work out why it
wouldn't compile (=it's too old to support the NEWSTRUCT drivers.) It is
necessary to edit dvbstream's Makefile to include the dvb drivers
directory - in this case it's OK to include the 2.6 kernel source.

I'm still a little confused about the translation of scan's channels.conf
to MythTV's channel editor. For example, where scan produces

ABC TV
Sydney:226500000:INVERSION_OFF:BANDWIDTH_7_MHZ:FEC_3_4:FEC_1_2:QAM_64:TRANSMISSION_MODE_8K:GUARD_INTERVAL_1_16:HIERARCHY_NONE:512:650:545

I understand that FEC_3_4 is the hp_code_rate and FEC_1_2 is the
lp_code_rate. Your BBC example has FEC_3_4 for both, so it's not
immediately obvious which way round they are! When editing channels in
mythsetup, I get some strange behaviour. Unfortunately I don't have access
to mythsetup at the moment to detail the behaviour exactly, but if I
specify the hp_ and lp_ code rates, and leave FEC (which is for DVB-S
only?) on auto, exit and go back into the channel editor, I find FEC is
now set to the hp_code_rate.

Lastly, on the first page
(http://www.ethics-gradient.net/myth/mythdvb.html) there's a link to the
2.6 section with a typo - the link is
http://www.ethics-gradient.net/myth/mythdvb3, i.e. it's missing the .html
from the end.

Thanks again for writing an excellent guide.

Cheers,

Jon