[mythtv-users] Sound question

David Tarkowski david.tarkowski at verizon.net
Sat Mar 13 17:22:18 EST 2004

Hi all,

I'm planning on building a myth box to hook up to my tv soon and had a
few questions, mainly about sound.  I'm planning on having the system
built around the SK41G from Shuttle.

My first question is about the digital audio out.  I would like Myth to
always use the digital optical output to my surround sound receiver
(even with just stereo sound) since it is a bit of a pain to change
between the sound inputs on the receiver.  Is this possible?

My second question is about the Dolby Surround Sound.  Is there any way
to get support for this with MythTV and supported Linux cards.  Dolby
Surround is the method used to encode four channels of sound onto analog
broadcast signals.  This isn't terribly important, but I've come to
enjoy it, and I can't find any information on it since everybody likes
to talk about Dolby Digital and DTS these days.

-Dave