[mythtv-users] pvr 350 vs 250 + pundit TV out

stan stanb at panix.com
Sat Mar 13 16:50:07 EST 2004

On Sat, Mar 13, 2004 at 04:22:54PM -0500, Ijaaz A. Ullah wrote:
> When I first started reading this mailing list, I was under the impression
> that the PVR350 was the best card for any MythTV setup.
>
> Over the last week or so, I'm not so sure anymore.
>
> I purchased a pundit barebones, Celeron 2.4 processor, 512mb of ddr 2700 and
> a Maxtor 160gb 5400rpm hd.
>
> I was going to purchase a PVR 350, but it appears that it's out of stock
> everywhere in Toronto, that is until Monday.
>
> My question is, am I better off purchasing a 250 and using the DVI output on
> the pundit to connect to my Toshiba 57H83?  Or, should I stick with the 350
> and use the component cables to connect to the same TV?

Well, I'm trying to get my KnoppMYTH PVR-350 + PVR-250 system set up (and
have been for over 2 weeks).

Here's my take. I think _in the long run_ the PVR-350 will be a better
solutin. Mainly because of the power of the built in decoder. But, in the
short term, I am finding that I am actually mich hapier with everything
going to the computer monitor, than I am going to the TV via teh PVR.

Some things that I don't like about the TV-Out solluiton.

1. Menu Txt is not very clear.
2. No OSD volume controls.
3. No OSD picture controls.

Having sadi that. I have confidence in the developers working on this to
make it quite a nice system when all is said and done.

So, in short you pay your money, and you take your choice :-)

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin