[mythtv-users] What's purpose of oldprogram table?

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Fri Mar 12 15:29:01 EST 2004

Tony Maro wrote:
> Chris Delis wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 08:49:16AM -0500, Tony Maro wrote:
>>
>>> I mean, do I really need to know that "A Kid Rock Christmas" played
>>> on 12-16-2003 ???  Or that "A&E's Live by Request Starring Lyle
>>> Lovett" played that day as well?
>>

>> I think it aides in the Scheduler logic.  For one, it helps decide
>> what's a
>> "repeat" episode so that you don't record the same thing twice.
>

> If that's true, then what's the "oldrecorded" table for?  The
> "oldprogram" doesn't include epsiode information at all, just title.  It

"oldrecorded" is everything that had been in "recorded" and
is used by the scheduler to find if upcoming showings are
repeats if things you've recorded before. "oldprogram" is just
the titles of everything that has been in the "program" table
(your listings) in the past 320 days.

In order to separate out the list for Search Listings->New Titles,
the system needs to know what the old titles were. The cutoff is
just short of a year so that it won't grow forever and so holiday
specials (like "A Kid Rock Christmas" ;-) will appear in the New
Titles list next year.

> is storing EVERY show, including all the crap I've not only never
> recorded, but never watched.  It currently has over 10,000 entries in
> the table, one for each unique "show" (not episode) ever on my cable
> network since I installed MythTV on December 16th.
>
> In a few years, I could see this getting unusually large...

80% of the titles repeat every week so it was probably 8,000
by Christmas. There are only one or two dozen truly new titles
per day so it's almost as big as it will every be. I have 22182
full listings in my program table and 8622 titles only in
oldprogram. This table will always be much smaller than your
current listings table, tiny compared to recordedmarkup and
less disk space than a second of any recorded file (see, I'd
thought about these things =).

> If this wasn't GPL I'd be reading some conspiracy into it ;-)

Actually, it is a conspiracy to spy on your cable provider since
it extracts the titles from the raw listings and is unaffected
by your habits ;-).

--  bjm