[mythtv-users] Cutting commercials without expensive transcoding

Thomas Börkel thomas at boerkel.de
Fri Mar 12 14:12:09 EST 2004

HI!

Ray Olszewski wrote:
>> > I use avidemux2.  I allows me to cut commercials and
>> > transcode from 3500/4400 vbr to 2200 for SVCD and it
>> > only takes approx. 48 minutes for a 1/2 hour show
>

> a PVR250 and wanted to treat MPEG2 this way ... this should be doable in
> principle, but in fact I don't know of any actual software (I've only
> looked for Open Source/free software) that will do it ... I'm guessing
> due to patent issues, but I really do not know why no one offers the
> ability to keyframe edit MPEG2.
>
> I did find a reference to a shareware (Windows) product called MPEG2VCR.
> Its description say the following:
>
> "No re-encoding when editing DVD-compliant MPEG2 captures from the
> latest USB/DVD capture boxes. When using these sources to create a movie
> for DVD burning, you will not have to wait for many hours while your
> movie is re-encoded. Instead, your edited video will be written back to
> disk as fast as any disk-to-disk copy operation."
>
> See http://www.womble.com/products.htm for more details. But a $US 70,
> it is not a cheap solution.

Actually, avidemux2 can edit the PVR's MPEG2 files quickly, without
reencoding.

But a commandline tool, that processes the cutlist and is being called
by Myth, would be much better. Just as you can do it within Myth with
MPEG4 recordings AFAIK. I thought this is also possible with MPEG2, but
somehow broken in 0.14.

Thomas