[mythtv-users] Re: [mythtv] Isaac's unemployment

david.blevins at visi.com david.blevins at visi.com
Fri Mar 12 03:21:47 EST 2004

On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 06:34:13PM -0600, Scott Rowe wrote:

> <snip>
>
> I wonder if Isaac's thought about the company that's selling pre-built myth
> boxes? I mean, while donations and the like would be cool, wouldn't getting
> back to work be better? Heh.. And especially getting to do what he's doing
> now, but getting paid to do it?

That's a very good idea.

As someone who works in open source, I can say first hand that collecting money for development (from businesses or individuals) is rarely a good thing.  Very tough to balance everyone's expectations, deadlines, etc.

Having said that, collecting money for services as an individual (not as a business version of the project) can be a very good thing. People with $$ to spend on support naturally want someone who contributes heavily to the project--they know the most--so it has a way of motivating and encouraging all contributors.

$$ for development == selling software
$$ for services == selling the individual

--
David Blevins