[mythtv-users] OT: Linux Question

Timo Boettcher spida at gmx.net
Thu Mar 11 16:59:46 EST 2004

Hi Jason,

* Jason Schloer <schloer.jason at tangoinc.com>, Thursday, March 11, 2004, 5:26:51 PM:

> Okay this is pretty offtopic, but I want it for my Myth box, so I figure I'd
> pick the brains of this well rounded list.
> The challenge is I want a fake directory setup which mirrors an actual
> directory (lists files, etc.), but runs a script on the files when they are
> accessed. Details follow:

> Basically I'm putting all of my CDs onto my myth box for use with Myth
> Music. I've then shared the directory out with Samba so that I can access it
> with windows boxes, etc. I just bought my girlfriend a new MP3 player and
> transferring to it works like a charm, however I've been encoding all of my
> CDs at high quality since I'll be playing them out of my stereo. But at high
> quality she gets very few songs on the 128MB that come with the Rio. So what
> I want to do is setup a directory which would mirror the mp3 directory and
> run a script on each file as it is accessed, so that I can recompress it on
> the fly. As it is I run icecast with ices to listen to my music at work, so
> I know I can recompress to 56kbps quickly and with decent enough quality for
> cheap earbud headphones. So in theory if I had this I could create a virtual
> directory like /var/music/recompress/56k or /var/music/recompress/128k. Then
> whenever I transfer a file from the directory it would recompress it. Then I
> could share it with Samba and get the files at lower quality automatically.

> Anyway, without rambling further, is this possible with existing features
> and tools in linux? Or will I need to look into writing something myself?
> Thanks in advance for the help

I have an idea for that, but it will need some coding - not that much
coding, but much rtfm and editing configs.
You could have a apache server, have links that run the appropriate
transcoding scripts (afaik netjuke has the code for that), then have
apaches-rewrite-engine format the urls to access them via webdav
(webdav is webbased distributed authoring and versioning system; you
can "mount" directories on a webserver with that).

Th other idea is that samba has a plugin-interface for use with
antivirus-software, but using that would need a LOT of coding.

 Timo