[mythtv-users] Video Quality

D Banerjee davatar at comcast.net
Thu Mar 11 16:55:55 EST 2004

> Others have pointed out one (probably not the only one :)) shortcoming
> of my original comments:  The filters provide an opportunity to
> *improve* the picture.  You cannot recover lost information.  But
> that doesn't mean that certain filters won't make it *look* better
> than the original.

That's why you use your filter *before* you encode, that way you elimate
noise and encode more information about the actual picture. Filtering before
encode you are trying to low-pass the picture - lose information. Also MPEG4
postprocessing helps approximate the actual lost information from the
encoded data, so statistically speaking you will have a more accurate
picture after postprocessing.