[mythtv-users] Re: Lirc problems w/PVR-250

Dan Conti dconti at acm.wwu.edu
Thu Mar 11 14:27:57 EST 2004

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004, Sam Gibbons wrote:

> So, if I am using the 20040309 RPM from Axel's repository I should not
> be having any issues? And the lack of functionality with irw and lirc in
> general are due to some other undefined cause?

I dont have the hardware and dont use RPMs :) However, this would be my
take based on the changes in lirc cvs. The bug that specifically caused
problems for the pvr 250 made it into lirc 7.0pre3, but was fixed a couple
of days later.

> That makes some sense because I started having this problem before
> 03/09/2004 as the timestamp indicates for this RPM and after the
> 02/08.2004 timestamp of the previous version. However, I did first
> encounter this after a apt-get update && apt-get upgrade that I usually
> run once or twice a week.

I am guessing you got pre3 in there, unfortunately.

> Immediately after that upgrade, lirc ceased to function. I believe, but
> I am not certain, that the ivtv-firmware package was in that upgrade. I
> have since backpedaled to the original version. I think those packages
> were identical anyway.
>
> I am still having problems with lirc. Are any of the original people who
> posted the problem still having issues? A recent downgrade to 20040208
> lirc (lib and kmdl included) RPM did not fix the issue for me, as was
> suggested by Dan Conti.
>
> As a side note, when grepping the messages log, I still see "0.7.0pre1"
> in all of the lirc related listings, regardless of which rpm version I
> am using.

With this, it looks like things are not getting installed properly. You
might want to uninstall lirc first and make absolutely sure that all
executables are gone, and the modules are unloaded, and the daemon is not
running, etc. Then install the 20040309 snapshot and see if the logs show
the correct version number. Until they do i would assume you have some
mishmash of versions, which could be causing far more problems than the
little bug i introduced.

If that doesn't work, we should move this conversation to the lirc lists;
your problems seem to be happening outside of myth anyways.

-Dan