[mythtv-users] Video Quality

D Banerjee davatar at comcast.net
Thu Mar 11 13:39:10 EST 2004

You can get very good quality, I'd contend better than broadcast but that's
an opinion other would counter I assume ;)

Use the filters for recording , read the documentation on how to enable them

kerneldeint, crop, (both low cpu), then either quickdnr or denoise3d,
depending on how good your processor is. Also use mpeg4 with all the high
quality options (HQ & 4MV) turned on.

I have livetv set to kerneldeint, crop, denoise3d, 640x480 at 5000kbits
(excessive because it's temporary, and I can) and it looks better than
broadcast. Mostly because it scrubs out reception problems and
high-frequency noise, looks only slightly worse that HDTV->xvid rips, which
are amazing quality at usually around 1000kbits, but also usually 2-pass.

The downside is all of this needs some serious CPU. The PVR cards do support
dnr filters at a minimum, with no cpu usage. I could have spent $120-200 on
a pvr card, but I spent $170 on a new cpu. It's much more versatile this
way. Also transcoding between lossy formats has real signal degredation, so
bitrate-to-bitrate pvr mpeg2->mpeg4 will always look worse than raw->mpeg4

-Debabrata