[mythtv-users] mysql setup/install

Danny Meehl d_meehl at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 10 23:26:01 EST 2004

Well, I cannot even install the prereqs to this software, let alone the
actual mythtv.

I'm working on mysql. I downloaded
mysql-standard-4.0.18-pc-linux-i686.tar.gz, the binary package. I followed
the following directions (from the readme):

     shell> groupadd mysql
     shell> useradd -g mysql mysql
     shell> cd /usr/local
     shell> gunzip < /path/to/mysql-VERSION-OS.tar.gz | tar xvf -
     shell> ln -s full-path-to-mysql-VERSION-OS mysql
     shell> cd mysql
     shell> scripts/mysql_install_db

Running the last command yeilds the follwing message:

root at Cratosville:/usr/local/mysql/scripts# ./mysql_install_db
./mysql_install_db: line 1: my_print_defaults: command not found
Didn't find ./bin/mysqld
You should do a 'make install' before executing this script

As you well know, there is no Makefile so make install doesnt work. What's
the deal?

I also tried installing the Slackware9.1 package from linuxpackages.net.
Running "mysql.server start" does nothing what-so-ever.

How do you install this?

-Dan