[mythtv-users] X freezes with high CPU - nvidia

kevin d listman at depfyffer.com
Tue Mar 9 18:37:21 EST 2004

> On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 10:31:00PM +0100, Brian Huffman wrote:
>> 1) Can you list your hardware?
>
> It varies between systems but here are the main ones:
>
>    bragi & thor -
>       - FIC AZ11E Motherboard
>       - AMD K7 1Ghz
>       - 512 Megs PC133 RAM (bragi)
>       - 768 Megs PC133 RAM (thor)
>       - ATI TV Wonder (bragi)
>       - SB Live!
>       - GeForce2 GTS/Pro 64 Meg (bragi)
>       - Riva TNT 16 Meg (thor)
>    odin & freya -
>       - Shuttle SK41G
>       - AMD K7 XP 2400+
>       - 512 Meg DDR 2400
>       - GeForceFX 5200 128 Meg (odin)
>       - GeForce4 MX 4400 64 Meg (freya)
>    cerberus & erato -
>       - Shuttle SN41G2
>       - AMD K7 XP 2100+
>       - 512 Meg DDR 2200
>       - on board GeForce4 MX 4400 NV18
>
> If you'd like more details, just let me know.
>
>> 2) Which nvidia drivers are you using?
>
> Version 5336 on odin, bragi, cerberus, thor.
> Version 4996 on freya, erato.
>
> No specific reason for 4996 on freya and erato other than they are my
> wife's systems and I've been a little lazy about getting them updated.
>
>> 3) Are you using S-Video Out?
>
> No only system doing TV out is bragi and I'm using the composite output
> on it.
>
>> 4) I don't know if this matters or not....but is your nvidia card
>> sharing any IRQs?  (lspci -v)
>
> APIC is enabled on odin and freya, both show the nvidia driver at IRQ
> 16.
>
> The others all show the nvidia driver on IRQ 10 and are sharing that IRQ
> with something else.  In most cases it's USB.  However in bragi's case
> it's the SB Live, and in thor's case it's the firewire controller and
> network controller.
>
>> I'm just trying to debug this.  I don't really care how I need to make
>> it work, I just want it to be stable...
>
> I normally start eliminating variables.  Have you ever had the lockup
> outside of MythTV?  Have you tried running X on the box with a window
> manager instead of MythTV?  Is the box responsive to anything when the
> lockups occure (remote ssh connection, etc)?
>
> --
> Jamin W. Collins
>
> Linux is not The Answer. Yes is the answer. Linux is The Question. - Neo

I had this problem earlier with 0.13. I'm pretty sure the cause of my
problems was a bad xf86config file and/or using the newest nvidia driver
(trying to get svideo out) I switched to the old working driver, Sorry I
forget the ver number but if you want to email me off list feel free and I
can send my xf86config file and driver ver.
I'm using a geforce4 440 mx and aopen geforce2 with no problems
and still have apic turned on in the bios.
I'll try to get all my info in my webpage so I don't have to type it
everytime I respond to an nvidia question, xf86config, driver ver etc
http://www.depfyffer.com/news.php?extend.5