[mythtv-users] Struggling with DVB-T and AC3

Kent Williams kent2 at optusnet.com.au
Tue Mar 9 18:07:15 EST 2004

Ok, I tell a lie, in this particular system, I'm using the onboard
digital out, which lspci says is: 00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller:
Intel Corp. 82801EB AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02).

However, previously when using a motherboard without onboard sound, the
SB Live card worked the same.

It looks like Mian is also having the same troubles, as per the post to
the dev list, and no replies from anyone who has it fully working.
Doesn't look good :(

Anyways, please find my alsa.conf (from /usr/share/alsa) attached.
Neither /etc/asound.conf nor ~/.asoundrc exist.

To get this working, I did the following:
-Used the ALSA support from the 2.6.3 kernel (and enabled the intel8x0
module)
-Downloaded and compiled both alsa-lib-1.0.2 and alsa-utils-1.0.2
(nothing more than ./configure, make, make install)
-Downloaded alsa-driver-1.0.2c (didn't compile, just had to run the
snddevices script)
-ran alsamixer and set the master vol to 70%, pcm to 70%, un-muted
"IEC958 Playback AC97-SPSA", and left everything else at 0% or muted if
possible.
-enabled native ALSA support in settings.pro, compile myth and set the
output device to ALSA:iec958 (from memory, ALSA:spdif also worked)
-left the AC3 passthrough turned off.

I've followed this process for two different systems with different
motherboards and it has worked both times.

Now I get audio out the analogue outputs, which I have connected to the
TV speakers and also out of the onboard optical out, which is connecter
to the AV receiver.

....now if only I could get HD and AC3 pass through working!

-Kent