[mythtv-users] Newbie hardware purchase question

John F. DeLuca johnfdeluca at comcast.net
Tue Mar 9 17:27:55 EST 2004

On 9 Mar 2004 at 7:39, KMF wrote:

> Howdy!
>
> On 2004.03.08 23:20 Patrick Reynolds wrote:
> > Recording requires a tuner, and live TV requires a tuner.  So to do
> > both, you'll need two tuners.
>
>     Doh! That should have been obvious to me although it wasn't.
>   So any mini-system would need to have at least 2 PCI slots
>   to watch live TV while recording. Uhhh, what if instead
>   you want to record while watching video that was recorded
>   earlier?  Same thing? An additional tuner is needed or can
>   a PVR-350 encode one signal while decoding a file and
>   sending it to TVout? Or perhaps the video card could have
>   a appropriate decoder and TVout?

To record one show while wathcing a previously recorded show only requires one
card.  Two tuner cards buys you the added ability to:
+ Watch Live TV while recording another show
+ Record two shows simultaneously
+ Record two shows simultaneously while watching a pre-recorded show

In essence, watching a previously recorded show doesn't require a tuner card as you
are merely playing a video file.