[mythtv-users] Transcode entire DVD (menus, etc) to MPEG4?

Tom Marshall tommy at home.tig-grr.com
Tue Mar 9 13:17:24 EST 2004

> > My question was mostly on how to save disc space by converting the mpeg2
> > video to mpeg4
> yes, I know that was the initial question but sorry, I don't have a
> better answer than the others...

Sorry, I don't have a complete answer to the original question either.

I imagine that software players such as xine would be much more lenient with
bitrates and resolutions than dedicated players.  I find that most of my
DVDs are mastered around 8000kbps, 720x480, 16:9.  But 3000kbps, 480x480,
4:3 from my PVR-250 looks perfectly acceptable on my analog TV.  So you
could probably transcode to 640x360 @ 3000kbps with acceptable quality.

The missing piece, of course, is how to transcode while keeping the menuing
functionality.  I don't know anything about those magic .bup and .ifo files.

> > My understanding is that this is already possible (although maybe not from
> > within Myth?), assuming disk space isn't an issue.
> > In fact, I don't think you even have to mount the image -- you just rip the
> > DVD to a folder
> Hmm... yes, you think... but did you try it? I was thinking it too,
> before giving it a try. What do you mean by "rip the DVD to a folder" ?
> Using the "cp" command ? I've already tried in various ways, and always got
> the same I/O error I get with "dd" ....

Have you tried mounting the DVD and doing a "cp -ar"?  If that doesn't work,
you can look for "vobcopy" -- it seems to work well for me.

I have never created a DVD image, but I think I recall seeing documentation
on it.  IIRC it's similar to creating an iso, but the DVD directory
structure is pretty rigid.  You might google for 'dvdrecord' to learn more.

Never argue with an idiot.  They drag you down to their level, then beat you
with experience.