[mythtv-users] Myth as non-root on Slackware 9

Christian Morris xianmorris at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 9 12:02:06 EST 2004

Need a little guidance here folks...
Hardware is:
abit nf7 w/ xp2600+ barton, 512meg, 120gig media disk, 15 gig system/swap
disk, hauppauge 878 based capture card, sb live value for audio, geforce 2
gts for video out, packard bell serial remote.
System is:
Slackware 9.0 w/ 2.4.22 kernel compiled to support lirc_serial, nvidia
non-open-source drivers for video & net.

Initial install & testing was all done as root.  Everything runs wonderfully
up to 720x480 mpeg4, cpu utilization hovers around 35-40% while recording.

The problem is that I don't want to run this as root (even though it will be
safely nestled behind an OpenBSD firewall/nat box).  I created a user (htpc)
to use for this application.  I've created an htpc group as well, and given
write perms to that group for the media storage directory tree.
The htpc user is able to run mythbackend, mythfrontend, mythfilldatabase
successfully.  I am able to watch video previously recorded at any
resolution & codec.  I am able to watch livetv.  The problem comes in when I
attempt to record a program.  It appears that mythtv is not able to locate
and/or read/write the file(s) containing configuration information for the
recording profiles.  When a scheduled recording hits, mythbackend dumps
messages indicating problems with the audio and video codecs, tells me I
need to go into tv settings and configure the 4 recording profiles there.
It then goes on to record the show "Assuming RTjpeg for now."
This problem occurs when EITHER the frontend or backend or both are run as
this user - basically unless it's all running as root, I get this message &
all of my recordings end up using the defaults.
Is there some location other than ~/.mythtv where recording profile info is
stored?  Is it possible that this file is not accessible to the user myth is
running as?
It feels like I'm overlooking something very simple, but I'm just not able
to see what it is...
Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!