[mythtv-users] Transcode entire DVD (menus, etc) to MPEG4?

Scott Nicholson mythtv at scottnic.com
Tue Mar 9 00:56:06 EST 2004

I've googled quite a bit for this but so far haven't been able to find
anything...

We've got a fair-sized DVD collection, and at least half of them are the
kids' movies. At least a few times each week one of the older kids (6 and 7)
bring me a DVD that the younger kid (3) has gotten all smudgy with
fingerprints -- I'm constantly cleaning them. (This is on top of the
scratches, etc. that they pick up from normal juvenile handling).

I'd like to be able to rip all of our movies to the HD to be played through
the Myth system I'm putting together, but I need to be able to include all
the menus, etc. (the kids love the games that several of their movies come
with, and I like the bonus footage on several of mine). Unfortunately, I
don't have the TB or so of space that'll be needed to store them all in
their native MPEG2 format.

So... Is there any way of transcoding the movies to DivX or XVid or similar
MPEG4... while keeping all menus, languages, etc. intact?

(I assume such a solution would involve not only a rip/transcode element but
also a special player)

If nothing of the sort exists, do I have any other options (short of
transcoding everything to lower-bitrate MPEG2 (and losing quality in the
process))?

Thanks,
Scott Nicholson

---